Monday, June 29, 2009

12 weeks 2 days

Well I’m finally at the 3 month mark! What a relief! Patch and I went to the 12 week scan yesterday morning and to my huge relief bubs was fine and healthy.

Crown to Rump 62mm
Heart Rate 155bpm

The sonographer went through everything with us. First of all she showed the baby just lying there peacefully, then all of a sudden it jumped! It was like it rebounded all the way from one end of my uterus to the other and slid back down again! From then on all it wanted to do was mess with the sonographer’s head!

She looked at everything, the head, torso, legs, arms, even fingers (which looked like there were six fingers on one hand… um…) and internally its bladder, kidneys, digestive system and stomach, and of course the heart beating!! So cute! She showed me the baby face on, so I saw it’s skull and spine, legs and arms – I could see the two bones in the forearm, just like in an adult skeleton so it really affirmed that yes, there’s a human in there!

The little bub was jumping around so much that the sonographer found it hard to get the measurements she wanted and I was getting uncomfortable with my full bladder that got to the point where it actually hurt… I joked to myself, “bloody kid disobeying me already!” It was a little annoying because I had waited so long to get the scan and once I was in there I was thinking “When is this going to be over!!!”

I didn’t get to take any films with me yet, I pick them up next week with my blood test results for the Down’s Syndrome screening. I’m a little disappointed because I can’t show everyone the great pics! And it would have been nice to have a little picture to look at every now and then! But I’ll just have to wait!

Clare rang me later in the day to find out how everything went, so I talked to her for about five minutes, then I had to go back and do some work!!

So last night we told family and friends the news. Patch called Fabian and Tanya, also Ross and Maria. He rang Sue also (he calls her his mum).

I called Grandma, then Kelly and Steve. Then I called mum, Alyssa and Dad to let them know how the scan went even though they already knew the news.

I emailed other family members so tell them the news and I got some replies back this morning congratulating us. So it’s really nice to be able to get excited now that more people know!

Work is really stressful at the moment. I had to stop myself at one point today and distress. I don’t want to work myself up unnecessarily because Cortisol (stress hormone) can reach the baby through the placenta. So I requested help from one of the other girls that works here who is helping me out. I have spent my lunch break writing this which has been a nice distraction thinking about the baby and not work!! I’ve been having stressful dreams about work lately too, so I’m not relaxing even when I’m asleep…

But for now I’m just happy that baby is ok and I’ve reached the 3 month mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment